Campus update: Campus forum times and study abroad update
Campus Forum Times
The University of Iowa will host a series of virtual forums focused on different elements of the plan for the fall 2020 semester, which was released on June 17. Members of the campus community who have questions after reviewing the plan can email their question to UI-CoronavirusQuestions@uiowa.edu. Questions will be answered individually and/or, if appropriate, answered during the applicable forum.
The university is still reviewing the best hosting platform and will provide details about how to view each forum soon. In the meantime, please add the following dates and times to your calendar if you are interested in participating:
- Discussion of the overall plan
- 2 to 3 p.m. June 24
- 10 to 11 a.m. June 25
- Discussion of academics and the classroom
- 10 to 11 a.m. July 1
- 1 to 2 p.m. July 2
- Discussion of the student experience
- 2 to 3 p.m. July 8
- 10 to 11 a.m. July 9
- Discussion of human resources’ support for employees returning to campus
- 2 to 3 p.m. July 15
- 9 to 10 a.m. July 16
- Discussion of research
- 2 to 3 p.m. July 22
- 10 to 11 a.m. July 23
Update on Study Abroad and student travel
The current ban on UI student travel abroad has been extended for departure through Sept. 15, 2020. This recommendation is based on established student travel policy that prohibits travel when there is a DOS4 do not travel advisory from the U.S. Department of State, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Level 3 warning, and the need for students to have advance time to solidify alternate study plans.
The UI travel advisory committee (with representation from International Programs, General Counsel, and Risk Management) will reassess the recommendation before Sept. 15, 2020, and each month of the fall 2020 semester, each time considering viability for student travel departures within the upcoming three-month period. Monthly reviews will be guided by established UI international travel policy for students and risk indicators in place at the time of assessment.
Notifications of fall 2020 semester study abroad travel cancelation on June 15 (with a second smaller round likely on July 15) will allow students enough time to make plans for returning to campus in August.
The review schedule is as follows:
- June 15, 2020: Student travel ban extended through Sept. 15, 2020
- July 15, 2020: Decision regarding departures through Oct. 15, 2020
- Aug. 15, 2020: Decision regarding departures through Nov. 15, 2020
- Sept. 15, 2020: Decision regarding departures through Dec. 15, 2020
- Oct. 15, 2020: Decision regarding departures through Jan. 15, 2021. This is the final assessment point for remaining fall and Winterim departures.