The university will continue to monitor local and national developments and rely on guidance from the Board of Regents, State of Iowa; the Iowa and Johnson County departments of public health (IDPH, JCPH); the Big Ten Conference; and the CDC.
What to do if you're sick
- If you have symptoms consistent with COVID-19 stay home and isolate yourself from family, friends, and roommates as much as possible. If you develop symptoms while in class or on campus, go home or return to your residence hall room.
- Get tested. You can find information about testing in our community on the testing webpage.
- Call a health care professional who can assess your symptoms and risk factors and help you make a plan. DO NOT go to the emergency room unless you are having a medical emergency. You should not walk into any health care clinic if you suspect you have COVID-19, unless otherwise instructed to do so by a health care professional.
- Students: Visit the Student Health website for information about how to request a test. If you need to speak to a nurse, contact Student Health by calling the Nurseline (319-335-9704).
- Faculty/Staff: Call your health care provider or the UI Hospitals & Clinics (319-384-9010) and inform them of your symptoms or schedule a video visit through MyChart.
- Review the self-isolation instructions from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and your local health department.
- Monitor your symptoms. If you have an emergency warning sign (including trouble breathing), seek emergency medical care immediately.
- Wear a mask when around other people if able.
- Report your absence
- Students: Contact your instructors as soon as possible regarding your absence. You can find additional information on the Registrar’s Absence from class page.
- Faculty/Staff: If you have COVID-19 or any other illness, you should follow your department’s standard process for reporting an illness and taking sick leave.
- UIHC Employees: University of Iowa Health Care employees who test positive for COVID should continue to contact the University Employee Health Clinic (UEHC) at 319-356-3631.
- Inform close contacts
- Fever (temperature >=37.8 C or 100.0 F) or Chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
Students: Contact Student Health
Consult with a medical professional who can assess your symptoms and risk factors and determine whether you need a COVID-19 test.
Employees: Contact a Health Care Provider
Check your symptoms, talk to a medical professional, or schedule a video visit with the UI Hospitals & Clinics via MyChart.