Campus update: Upcoming campus forums and mid-year health plan changes reminder
Policies and recommendations to be announced June 17, followed by campus forums
On Wednesday, June 17, the University of Iowa will announce its policies and recommendations for limiting exposure to COVID-19 in a campus setting, which will be followed by a series of virtual forums focused on different elements of the plan.
Following is the schedule of the forums:
- June 24 and June 25: Discussion of the UI’s overall plan
- July 1 and July 2: Discussion of academics and the classroom
- July 8 and July 9: Discussion of the student experience
- July 15 and July 16 : Discussion of human resources’ support for employees returning to campus
- July 22 and July 23: Discussion of research
Members of the campus community who have questions after reviewing the plan can email their question to UI-CoronavirusQuestions@uiowa.edu. Questions will be answered individually and/or, if appropriate, answered during the applicable forum.
Reminder: Special mid-year health plan changes allowed
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is allowing changes in employer-sponsored health coverage. As a result, the University of Iowa will allow, without a qualifying event, mid-year changes to health insurance coverage on a prospective basis.
From June 1 through Aug. 31, 2020:
- Employees who initially declined health insurance coverage may enroll.
- Employees may add an eligible dependent(s) to health insurance.
- Employees may drop a dependent(s) from health insurance.
A Benefit Change Request must be completed in Employee Self Service by Aug. 31, 2020. Retroactive changes will not be allowed. The change will be effective the first of the month following the submission of the Benefit Change Request.
When completing the Benefit Change Request, please select either “Gain of Other Health/Dental Coverage” or “Loss of Coverage” as the Event, and in the Additional Information section, enter “COVID change.”